Ballyminimore, Glenavy

Ballyminimore Townland has been the home of the Oakman family from as early as 1669. The Widow Oakeman is listed in the 1669 Hearth Money Roll for Ballymoney / Ballyminimore. The Hearth Tax was introduced in 1662 whereby a levy of two shillings a year was to be paid for every “hearth, fire place or stove in Ireland”.

1745 – Walter Oakman, Linendraper, was granted a lease of 146 acres in Ballyminimore, previously in the possession of the late Fortesque Doherty. A Memorial Deed (#87093) states this lease was to be held for the lives of Walter, his son Walter and daughters Jane and Isabella.

1745 – Walter’s brother William Oakman, Linendraper, was granted a lease for 212 acres, 6 roods and 3 perches in the same townland previously in the possession of the late Fortesque Doherty. The Memorial Deed (#87084) states this lease was to be held for the lives of William Oakman, his son John Oakman, nephew Walter Oakman (son of Walter Oakman) and John Thompson (son of William Thompson, Tanner of Antrim).

Walter Oakman died in 1755.  An extract of his Will reveals he had the following children:

  • John Oakman m. Jane Whitla
  • Mary Oakman m. Smythe
  • Elizabeth Oakman m. McMean (?)
  • Walter Oakman
  • Nicholas Oakman
  • Robert Oakman
  • Catherine Oakman
  • Jean/Jane Oakman
  • Isabella Oakman

1769 – John Oakman, farmer of Aughnamullen, Killead Parish, transferred his interest in property in Ballyminimore as follows: to his brother Nicholas Oakman, a Linendraper, “Darby’s farm with the mill and bleach green“, and to his brother Walter Oakman, a Linendraper, “Herdman’s Farm” consisting of 70 acres. These properties had been inherited by John, Nicholas and Walter from their father, Walter Oakman.

Walter Oakman (jnr) died in 1773 (Index to Hibernian Chronicle 1769-1775 – 12 Sept 1773, page 582, column 2). Unfortunately his Will no longer exists but he appears to have had two young sons by the time he died – William who was baptised at Glenavy Parish Church in 1763, and Walter who was baptised in 1776, after his father had died.

June 1776 – John and Nicholas Oakman are listed as Freeholders in Ballyminimore (PRONI D/1364/L/1). Freeholders were men who either owned their land outright or who held it in a lease for the duration of their life, or the lives of other people named in the lease.

Did Walter jnr’s 70 acres that was “Herdman’s Farm” revert back to his brother John? Or was the John Oakman, Freeholder, the son of William who had the 212 acres?

About 1780 – Jane Oakman, of “Hopevale”, daughter of John Oakman and Jane (nee Whitla), married William McClure of Budore.

About 1780 – Agnes (Nancy) Oakman of “Weir House” married David McClure of Budore (brother of William McClure). We cannot know Agnes’ father’s name until we know for certain who was living at Weir House in the 1780s.  Agnes is not mentioned in the Will of Jane Oakman (nee Whitla) so in all likelihood she was the daughter of Nicholas Oakman.

About 1793 – John Oakman died.  Unfortunately his Will no longer exists, but we learn about his family from an extract his wife Jane’s Will.  Jane died about 1802.  John and Jane were married in 1755 or earlier and their family consisted of the following:

  • John Oakman
  • Jane Oakman m. abt 1780 to William McClure
  • Mary Oakman m. 1792 to Allen McDonnel
  • William Oakman
  • George Oakman m. 1801 to Jane Close and later to Margaret McVeigh
  • another child – Elenor – died in 1777

1808 – Nicholas Oakman, “near Glenavy” died at the age of 77 years.

1811 – George Oakman, son of John Oakman and Jane Whitla, died at Glenavy.  George was married to Margaret McVeigh and they have a very young child – John Oakman.

Rev Cupple’s map of 1814  (A Statistical Account or Parochial Survey of Ireland) shows two properties in Ballyminymore owned by the Messrs Oakman – these appear to be “Weir House” and “Darraghmore”.

By 1818, there was a Walter Oakman at “Darraghmore”.  He died in 1836.

The Tithe Applotment Books (circa 1826) show the following in Ballyminimore:

  • Walter Oakman – 103 acres, 1 rood, 8 perches
  • Widow Oakman – 57 acres, 1 rood, 14 perches
  • William Oakman – 43 acres, 2 rood, 22 perches
  • George Oakman – 47 acres, 0 rood, 14 perches

By comparing land sizes in a valuation map dated 1833 it seems likely:

  • Walter Oakman was at “Darraghmore”
  • Widow Oakman as at “Weir House”
  • William Oakman was at “Hopevale”
  • George Oakman was on land bordering both the above properties (later listed as “Herd’s house, office & land”)

Weir House

#2 on Griffith’s Valuation Map

1745 – Walter or William Oakman
1826 – Widow Oakman
1833 – Walter Sloan
1862 – John Johnston
1869 – John Johnston
1881 – John Johnston
1894 – John Johnston

Hopevale

#4 on Griffith’s Valuation Map

1745 – Walter or William Oakman
1826 – William Oakman
1833 – George McClure
1869 – Samuel Johnston
1881 – Reps of Samuel Johnston
1894 – Reps of Samuel Johnston

Darraghmore

#10a on Griffith’s Valuation Map

1745 – Walter or William Oakman
1826 – Walter Oakman
1833 – Walter Oakman
1862 – Nicholas Oakman
1869 – Nicholas Oakman
1881 – Nicholas Oakman
1894 – Reps of Nicholas Oakman (Christina Oakman Hume)

Herd’s House, Office and Land

#3 on Griffith’s Valuation Map

1745 – Walter or William Oakman
1833 – Daniel McVeigh
1862 – Margaret McVeigh
1869 – Samuel Johnston
1881 – Reps of Samuel Johnston
1894 – Samuel Johnston
1912 – Reps of Samuel Johnston

 

 

Comments are closed